Sunday, February 16, 2014

Piece Of The Pie

Through a referral from a sweet friend, I was able to obtain a job working every Saturday 4-8 am at a local resident home. It wasn't easy given the hour I had to go to bed and wake up, only to work 4 hours a week, but it was a foot in the door. I met many wonderful, interesting, kind souls and am grateful for my experience there. For nearly a year, I stayed on, able to land more hours working my way to full time and struggle to still search for a job that could get me off unemployment.
Sadly, it didn't happen. I took myself off unemployment prematurely because I simply couldn't take the stress of trying to prove myself to one more person. Each week you were required to prove you had submitted your application/resume to at least two jobs. You were required to search within 90 miles of public transit and 150 miles of your home base.
Being in a small area + having an unreliable vehicle (therefore not able to travel far) = nearly impossible to find a job or find anyone even offering.
The problem with some of the jobs in this area is that even though the local business is filled with hard working, decent, caring people, it is often run by a larger organization. Don't get me started on them...that's likely a topic for another blog spot. So, though it would have been ideal to have me working there full time able to help out and spread my worth, corporate did not see eye to eye with our pleas. Alas, the search began for something that could help me pay my bills and possibly build me a little money to set aside for a brighter future.
I have to mention, I live a very simple life. I don't ask for much. Years ago when I traveled cross country for my job, I packed all I needed for three months in my Subi and took to the road. It.was.wonderful. I was eye opening and a reality check. We are such a wasteful and greedy society, and I only see it getting toxically worse in the next generation. Now, I have to admit, I've been there. I can't say I wanted for much growing up. But through my life, I have come to realize what I NEED and what I think I need, and I try to keep myself in check with this. It's not always easy, it's actually easier some days to fall under that magical spell of bigger, better, more MORE more!! But, if you give yourself the opportunity to step back and breath, I can almost guarantee (depending on if you are willing to see it) you will realize what you think you need, you really don't need.



No comments:

Post a Comment